WHAT DOES A CHARACTER COACHES/CHAPLAIN LOOK LIKE?
Character Coaches/Chaplains could take on a number of different roles, but listed here are many of the common ones.
· Lead and coordinate chapel services.
· Provide personal care to players, coaches, and support staff.
· Alert the coach to critical issues that could affect his or her program.
· Be available and equipped at all times to help in crisis situations.
· Provide training and resources for character development and life management skills.
· Pray for, encourage and exhort players, coaches, coaches’ families and support staff.
WHO ARE CHARACTER COACHES/CHAPLAINS?
A wide variety of people can serve the people of sport as Character Coaches/Chaplains. One need not be a sport ministry professional to faithfully serve and to significantly impact the lives of this underserved people group. Among those who could serve as in these roles are:
· Parents of players in youth sports (school based teams or club sports).
· Coaches of youth sports teams, school based teams or coaches at higher levels of sport.
· Community leaders with interest in ministry through sport.
· Athletic trainers or other support personnel with sports teams.
· Pastors or other ministry professionals.
WHAT DOES IT TAKE TO BE A CHARACTER COACH/CHAPLAIN?
FCA wants to provide teams with the best trained, most effective Character Coaches/Chaplains that they can, so we have created a process:
1. Completion of the on-line FCA Character Coaches/Chaplains Training (TeamChaplains.org). Which includes an application process called the Ministry Leader Application.
2. Initiation of a relationship with an FCA staff member in your area for further training, encouragement, facilitation and accountability.
· Communication with the FCA staff prior to the season for planning, prayer, resources, etc…
· Communication with the FCA staff during the season for encouragement, problem solving and further direction.
Communication at the end of the season for evaluation, reporting of results, etc…
3. Connection with the FCA Character Coaches/Chaplains Network for ongoing training, encouragement, resources, information on regional training opportunities and more from those who are actively engaged as Sport Chaplains. The details of this will be covered in the training.